Thursday, July 17, 2014

Global Issues

Net Neutrality

Apparently, I received the news late and just NOW found out about the issue of net neutrality versus the FCC's desire to put a price on the internet.

The Internet is important to me because, as an English major college student, I need to know that there will not be barriers to learn about new ideas and services, or to maintain the ability to contribute to the educational environment of the internet. If ISP (Internet Service Providers, such as comcast and Verizon) subscribers have an easier time loading websites of existing companies than my current blog, video, or other internet posts, there’s no way that I will be able to compete or succeed.

The biggest thing I have against this, though, is the issue of money taking over the people's freedom of speech and ability to communicate without the suspicion that our internet is being censored by those who hold the money.

..At least, that's what I was going to write in my petition letter against the FCC's new rule. But after it asked me for my address and after a little bit more research, I decided I was too ignorant to really put my name down on something I don't completely understand.

If what I read is correct, all those who have the most money will be able to use the internet more freely and have a better chance to upload their content than the rest. However, my confusion lies in the fact that people already pay for the internet and advertisements to get the word out. How is this new FCC rule changing anything?

Hopefully with more research, I'll be able to understand more of what's going on in these troubled times.

For more information, Google it yourself and find articles like these: NYTIMES

And to comprehend a little more what net neutrality is, check this out:

        The "Open Internet" is the Internet as we know it. It's open because it uses free, publicly available standards that anyone can access and build to, and it treats all traffic that flows across the network in roughly the same way. The principle of the Open Internet is sometimes referred to as "net neutrality." Under this principle, consumers can make their own choices about what applications and services to use and are free to decide what lawful content they want to access, create, or share with others. This openness promotes competition and enables investment and innovation.
The Open Internet also makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to easily launch innovative applications and services, revolutionizing the way people communicate, participate, create, and do business—think of email, blogs, voice and video conferencing, streaming video, and online shopping. Once you're online, you don't have to ask permission or pay tolls to broadband providers to reach others on the network. If you develop an innovative new website, you don't have to get permission to share it with the world.
~Open Internet, FCC
http://www.fcc.gov/openinternet

*Veritas*
Thumbs up to Truth!



No comments:

Post a Comment